Lithuanian Square (PL: Plac Litewski) is a public space in the newer part of Lublin's old centre. While it was part of numerous aristocratic properties before the 19th century, tradition holds that it was a neutral space outside the old town where Polish and Lithuanian nobility debated here in 1569 before the union of both countries, now known as the Union of Lublin, was signed in Lublin Castle. This event was later commemorated in the erection of the obelisk that can be found on the eastern side of the square. Later serving various agricultural purposes, the space was developed for military drills and parades in the 1820s. It received its current name in 1925 during the Second Polish Republic, commemorating the historic union between Poland and Lithuania. For this reason, you can find a visual portal that connects to a similar point in Vilnius, where passers-by in either country can have a momentary connection with each other! As a centralised location in Lublin, state ceremonies and other public events take place here. The Multimedia Fountain in the centre of the square's green space is a popular tourist attraction during the evenings.