Originally a settlement outside the city walls, this is currently the oldest part of the city, laid down in the 14th century for the town’s craftsmen, winegrowers and Jews. The name was cultivated because of the beans grown in their gardens as the food staple. The only surviving building from this time is the Schellenturm (1564). For a long time, the quarter was infamous as the red light district, but widespread renovations and intensive gentrification have lined the cobbled streets with boutiques, designer hotels and wine bars. A trace of naughtiness is still left near the petrol station and the small alleys southwards.