Located in two Renaissance townhouses on Tarnów's market square, this structure dates back to 1565 and includes beautiful arcades and an extensive wine cellar. In 1780 it was adapted to be the headquarters of Austrian General d'Alton, who took the city in 1772. From the 19th century the building was in Jewish possession until after the war when it became the property of the city of Tarnów and received a major renovation. Functioning as the main branch of the Tarnów Regional Museum until it closed in 2014, the buildings have been undergoing extensive modernisations in preparation to house the new Tarnów History Museum, set to open on May 1, 2020. Inside visitors will learn the whole history of Tarnów via state-of-the-art multimedia displays, from its fledgling 14th-century founding days up to the present. En route, the exhibit touches upon the city's favourite sons Jan Tarnowski, General Józef Bem and Tadeusz Tertil, while also sparing some space for the contributions of the Jewish population.
Show on map
Facilities for disabled
Open from May 1, 09:00-17:00; Wed, Fri 9:00-15:00; Sat, Sun 10:00-16:00; closed Mon.