Choosing where to go on a trip to Italy is like choosing between winning the lottery or finding a genie in a bottle. All the options are fantastic, and you’re going to be happy with whatever you pick. So, why the Dolomites? If expansive, stunning mountain vistas aren’t enough, here are five reasons why the Dolomites are one of Italy’s top destinations.
1. Screensaver-Worthy ViewsMaybe expansive, stunning mountain vistas are enough? The scenery in the Dolomites truly is reason enough to visit. Imagine standing atop a peak, overlooking a vast alpine valley with a jewel-blue lake in the middle. Fluffy clouds float through a cerulean sky. Happy cows roam through green pastures on the mountainside. Paradise, right?
2. Centuries of HistoryFrom 3300 BCE mummies to World War I artifacts, history buffs are guaranteed to be wowed by the deep historical roots of the Dolomites. A visit to one of the small museums can tell the story of how the area was changed from Austrian to Italian control. A look into tunnels in the mountains built by Italian troops offers a glimpse into battles fought on the same soil. And yes, you can meet Otzi the Iceman, a well-preserved mummy from long ago.
3. World-Class Hiking TrailsHave you seen the hiking trails in the Dolomites? If not, a quick Google search should show you everything you need to see: these trails are exceptional. The peaks are jagged and fascinating, the meadows are filled with wildflowers, and the wooden-gabled buildings are downright charming. It’s no doubt that one of the best ways to experience this mountain range is by doing the Dolomites hut-to-hut hiking tour, which immerses you in the area’s finest mountain scenery as you trek from mountain hut to mountain hut.
4. Unbelievable Food and WineOne of the best parts of a hike is the post-hike meal, right? Trekkers from around the world have long descended on the local restaurants of the villages of the Dolomites after the last kilometre, diving into plates of speck (smoked ham), ravioli, and canederli dumplings. The best of blended Italian and Austrian cuisines are on offer, and it’s a delicious dose of carbs you won’t soon forget. Not to mention the local wine.
5. Location, Location, LocationThe location of the Dolomites in northeastern Italy makes it accessible from several excellent bases. Venice is a world-class destination in itself, and it provides easy access to the beauty of the Dolomites. Did you need an excuse to tack on a few days in Venice? Didn’t think so. Using Venice as a base for your visit to the Dolomites not only gives you the pleasure of enjoying both destinations, but the range of options for transportation and lodging between the two makes the logistics of planning your trip a breeze.
Daydreaming about the Dolomites? You should be! Mountains, hiking, ravioli…. What more could you ask for?