On the 31st May 1809 the soldiers and their commander, Stevan Sinđelić,
defended the primary Serbian position. The battle took the entire day, with the Turks attacking in waves. They were rejected five times, though with major losses. Marching over the corpses of their fellow soldiers, the Turks managed to enter the trenches on the hill at the sixth attempt. Once inside, they attacked the Serbs with rifles, knives, and bare hands. Realising he could not withstand the attacks any further, Duke Sinđelić rushed towards the powder magazine packed with ammunition, drew his gun and fired shots at the magazine. The Duke, the remaining Serbian soldiers and numerous Turks were killed in the subsequent explosion.
The Čegar monument was unveiled on the 1st June 1927, the 50th anniversary of the liberation of Niš.