Veliky Novgorod

The Kremlin

share
The heart of Novgorod has always been the Kremlin, which is known locally by its ancient name 'Detinets'. The first records of fortifications on this site date back to 1044, although back then most of the Kremlin was probably made of wood. The current walls and towers of the Kremlin were completed between 1484 and 1490, after the previous ones had collapsed into the river. In recent years, the whole of the fortifications, as well as most of the buildings inside the Kremlin walls, have been completely restored.

Entrance to the Kremlin is free as is entrance to the Cathedral. The other main sights inside the Kremlin include the impressive Millennium of Russia monument and the Kukui Tower and the local history museum (entrance for which costs extra). Just outside the walls next to the river is a beach which is a popular place for ice-creams, volleyball and cool beers during the summer.

Refine your search

Choose Categories
Show all categories
The Kremlin
Around Town
Outside the City
Choose Categories
The Kremlin
Around Town
Outside the City
Submit
Top
City Essentials

Download our new City Essentials app

download 4.5