Modelled on a medieval castle, this architectural masterpiece only a short tram ride south of the centre shouldn't be missed. Originally designed by Karl Klimm, an eminent Breslau architect and the brains behind the Zwierzyniecki Bridge, the 63m tower was built between 1903 and 1904 and supplied water to the residents of southern Wrocław, with the base of the building used to house employees. From its beginnings this fairytale tower was equipped with an electric lift to whisk visitors to the top for panoramic views; costing 10 pfennigs, a clear day would afford sightseers uninterrupted views of the Sudety Mountains 100kms away, and a red flag would wave from the top whenever viewing was deemed particularly good. The sculptors Taschner and Bednorz added several intricate carvings to the sandstone, including medieval style bas reliefs depicting winged beasts engaged in gruesome scenes, and a spectacular fountain spouting water from the underground spring below the building. During the 1945 Siege of Breslau the tower served as a military observation point, and in spite of heavy shelling in the immediate vicinity survived largely unscathed. Up until the ‘80s it continued to function as a water plant, though black with soot and pockmarked with bullet holes. In 1995 it was purchased by Stephan Elektronik Investment who promptly launched an ambitious plan to restore it to its former glory. Based on a design by Wacław Bieniasz-Necholson countless cash was committed to the project, its rejuvenation as a city icon completed with the addition a bistro and restaurant - unfortunately now closed. To get there hop on tram numbers 2, 6 or 7, getting off at the 'Hallera' stop.