The ruined Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church, a stark reminder of wartime destruction, is West Berlin's landmark attraction. Kept as an open wound, the severe acknowledgement of Germany's culpability is declared on a plaque: 'The tower of the old church serves as a remembrance of God's judgement, which befell our people during the war years.' The 1895 church was once a symbol of national pride: even synagogues contributed to its funding. Inside is a gilded mosaic of the Hohenzollern dynasty. The modern chapel and bell tower beside it were completed in 1961, and are worth entering on sunny days for the amazing blue stained glass windows. Concerts take place every week, many of them free.