Kalisz's Ratusz (ENG: Town Hall) is a neoclassical building, originally built in a Renaissance style in the 16th century. Before this, a two-story Gothic town hall with a tower, mentioned for the first time in 1426, stood at a nearby location. After the first Renaissance 'iteration' burned down in 1792, another town hall was built in 1888 according to the design of Józef Chrzanowski. The town hall building was set on fire during the demolition of Kalisz in 1914 by the Prussian army, after which the neoclassical version as we know it now was in 1920–1924 thanks to the efforts of the Kalisz Reconstruction Committee, according to the design of Sylwester Pajzderski, which he based on earlier designs by Stefan Szyller. The building was entered in the Polish register of monuments in 1993.
In 2006, the National Bank of Poland issued a circulating commemorative coin with a face value of 2 zlotys in the series "Historical Cities of Poland" with the image of the Town Hall in Kalisz. In 2014, during renovation works, fragments of the walls of the 19th-century town hall with preserved arches were discovered. In 2019, during thermal insulation works, the remains of the foundations of the 14th-century Gothic town hall were found at a depth of about 3 meters, which was pulled down at the end of the 18th century.
This is an ideal spot for getting the best views of the city. Simply enter the building and ascend the tower!