Its floor plan has the shape of an irregular rectangle. There are two square towers on its eastern side whereas two polygonal towers sit along its northern front. Throughout history, the fortress had been repeatedly destroyed and rebuilt, and it experienced its greatest suffering in 1663 and 1752. Archaeological investigations inside the monumental complex have found numerous remains of material culture dating from prehistoric times to the late Middle Ages.
Running downhill from the fortress towards the seafront are a crenellated set of double walls built in the 15th century to provide access to the sea.
Centuries on and despite its majestic yet turbulent past, St. Michael’s Fortress stands proud as a true landmark of the city, an unavoidable destination of cultural tourism and of utter national significance. Nowadays and after extensive reconstruction, the fortress serves a different purpose; it has become a summer stage for various cultural and in particular musical events thanks to its natural beauty and location.
Show on map