Standing at ul. Chłodna 20 is a smashing piece of Art Nouveau Warsaw - and yes, there's also a bit of a story behind it. Built in 1913 this is the former residence of Adam Czerniaków. An engineer by profession Czerniaków assumed fame as head of the Judenrat (the Jewish led organisation responsible for implementing Nazi orders in the Ghetto). Troubled by German orders to oversee deportations to Treblinka, Czerniaków chose death by cyanide rather than comply, and his body is now interred in the Jewish cemetery on ul. Okopowa.