One of the only surviving fragments of the medieval defensive walls that once circled Wrocław's Old Town, this obscure tower hidden right in the centre was first built in the 13th century to protect the city from Mongol mayhem, acquiring the basic appearance it retains today a century later. As Wrocław expanded, Niedźwiadek Tower quickly lost its military importance and became hemmed in by residential buildings - the close proximity of which spared it from being razed along with the rest of the city's fortifications under Napoleon's orders in 1807. 75% destroyed during Festung Breslau, the historic tower and its surviving stretch of wall were rebuilt during restoration works in the 1950s and it was then that the weathered stone sculpture of a 'bear' (though historians tend to believe it's a lion) discovered near ul. Łaciarska was placed in the tower's south-east corner, thus giving the tower its name. To find it look in the courtyard just south of Hala Targowa between ul. Piaskowa and ul. Kraińskiego.