Located northwest of the centre, the New Jewish Cemetery was founded in 1902 when the Ślężna Street cemetery became too small, and is still in use by Wrocław’s Jewish community today. That hasn’t saved it from the ravages of time however, and like the cemetery it succeeded, it stands in sharp contrast to the well-kept Catholic cemeteries across Poland. Comprising 11 hectares and approximately 8,000 graves, this is the fifth largest Jewish cemetery in Poland, and as such carries an even more powerful aura of secret beauty among its maze of ivy-coved headstones and crumbling vaults. Likewise registered as an historical monument for its rich diversity of aesthetic and architectural styles, the most noteworthy tomb here is dedicated to the Jewish soldiers of the German Army who fought and died in WWI; their 432 names are etched into the top of the monument. The cemetery is currently the subject of slow renovation work and is only open to the public from May 1st to October 30th, on Wednesdays (14:00 - 17:00) and Sundays (09:00 - 13:00), with parts of the cemetery cordoned off altogether. Still, about 80% (this place is huge, remember) is accessible, with about 50% having already undergone restoration. We advise that you contact the Jewish Information Centre / CIŻ Cafe for updated information. To get there catch trams 10, 33, 20 or 3 from Pl.Jana Pawła II and get off at 'DH Astra;' it's about a 12min ride.