The giant Hala Mirowska is a major neighbourhood landmark consisting of two narrow brick halls (the other being Hala Gwardii) constructed between 1899 and 1901 on the instruction of Russian mayor Nikolai Bibikov. It functioned as Warsaw’s largest market up until the outbreak of the Warsaw Uprising. Though ravaged by fire the walls refused to give way and the buildings survived – check out the bullet scars still all too visible. Serving as a bus depot in the immediate post-war years the structure resumed its original purpose in the 1950s, and today is notable for its flower stalls outside, as well as lines of country folk selling jars of mushrooms out of the backs of their vans.
Show on map