Between 1939 and 1944 85% of the left-bank of Warsaw was completely destroyed, with the city centre bearing the brunt of the damage. In spite of the herculean rebuilding work that has since taken place, bullet scarred walls on pre-war tenements can still be found in relative abundance in the few parts of the centre that escaped total destruction. Perhaps most obvious of all is the building at ul. Waliców 14, which was part of the Warsaw Ghetto, featuring shell-pocked facades and a wall half-tumbling down. Amazingly, this building survived the invasion of September 1939, The Warsaw Ghetto Uprising of 1943 and the Warsaw Uprising of 1944. Directly across the street from the building is one of the few remaining pieces of the Ghetto wall, marked by a plaque.