Boutique wines, High Tea, and rum-tasting dinners, here's a look at what's new this month. Catch up on our April #FreshlyPlated blog here.
Goddess Cafe in Linden serves up High Tea
One of the prettiest cafes in town, Goddess Cafe has launched a new High Tea offering. Available Monday to Friday at their Linden cafe, as well as at their two locations in Pretoria, the High Tea includes a mix of sweet and savoury treats accompanied by a selection of coffee, tea or hot chocolate, all served on the prettiest crockery. The High Tea costs R325 per person (kids under 12 R175). Booking is essential, call +79 504 2535 to reserve your table.
The Whippet turns 10!
The Whippet celebrates 10 years in Linden this winter with a series of night-time events titled, The Whippet@Night. The series kicks off on June 9 (tickets for the debut event are now sold out) with a four-course rum pairing dinner hosted in collaboration with the head mixologist from Bacardi. Keep your eye on The Whippet Instagram page for updates on the next event coming up in the series.
New Wine Bar at Father Coffee Kramerville
Father Coffee's 'mothership' branch in Kramerville, where the acclaimed coffee brand has its roastery, is now licenced and has launched a boutique wine bar. Operating Wednesdays to Sundays the wine bar boasts a superb, regularly changing selection of exclusive boutique wines and a delicious menu of 'bar plates' to go with them. They've also started hosting pop-up ticketed events with top local winemakers. Check out their Instagram page for more on the latest wines on offer this week and to get your tickets for their next wine tasting events.
011 Gin Eatery is coming to RosebankRosebank's drinking and dining scene continues to thrive with another new venue, 011 Gin Eatery launching soon at Oxford Parks. The 011 Gin Eatery promises a huge selection of craft gins as well as hearty food, live DJ sets and an "urban contemporary vibe".
Open Slice opens in BraamfonteinBraamfontein has a delicious new spot called Open Slice. Taking up a slice of 99 Juta, and leading into the pretty courtyard in the complex Open Slice is the co-creation of JFF Rooftop Farm's Ashleigh Machete and DJ Slice Frederico (aka Freddy Mkhize). Good coffee and delicious open sandwiches on sourdough bread are sure to make this spot a neighbourhood favourite.
ALSO NEW ON THE SCENEIn case you missed them in last month's restaurant news blog, here's a look at some more recently opened venues:
– Iris Garden, a super pretty little patisserie and coffee shop has opened in Rosebank next to Postnet.
– Morning Glory, the popular Parkwood brunch spot at Park Corner has expanded, taking over the neighbouring venue that was once The Edge of Glory.
– Leafy Greens, the vegetarian cafe in Muldersdrift had reopened with a brand new after an extensive renovation
– Just Teddy, the beautiful patisserie in Hyde Park Corner, has launched Bake With Teddy, a new series of baking masterclasses.
– Burg-R, a funky and casual build-your-own burger spot has launched at Green Park Corner in Morningside.
– Kleine Rijke, the beautiful venue on the shores of the Hartbeespoort Dam has opened a full-time restaurant, open Monday to Friday 09:00-17:00.