Work for us – see any job opportunities here.
Johannesburg In Your Pocket is a leading online cultural guide to Southern Africa’s largest city. We pride ourselves on consistently producing content that is both practical and entertaining, finding the news, defining the trends, identifying the trend setters, and sharing stories about both mainstream and lesser-known attractions and experiences.
Johannesburg In Your Pocket is a small, and dynamic publication with a drive to create content and experiences that connect locals and visitors to one of Africa’s most exciting and complex cities. The brand In Your Pocket City Guides was founded in 1992 in Lithuania. We saw a guide while travelling in 2010 and decided Joburg needed one. Johannesburg In Your Pocket started in 2014 in South Africa, founded by Laurice Taitz-Buntman.
We are known for our on-the-pulse, useful, and up-to-date online city guide, aimed at both Joburg locals and visitors.
We believe in the necessity of welcoming locals and visitors alike to this city with up-to-date information that is independently written and curated. In Johannesburg, we have grown a dedicated following who look to our weekly To Do in Joburg Johannesburg In Your Pocket newsletter, fresh online content and social media for how to best spend time in this city.
Our approach to enhancing visitor experience has led us to work closely with key Johannesburg city districts, corporates, tourism authorities, attractions, hotels, and other hospitality-focused businesses. In everything we do, we aim to put culture first, highlighting the unique assets of Joburg through a focus on its people and its attractions.
OUR SERVICES INCLUDE:
Social media strategy
TO ADVERTISE: Contact publisher and editor Laurice Taitz at firstname.lastname@example.org, +27 82 572 3553
EDITORIAL: For editorial tips and enquiries, please email us at email@example.com
Job opportunities at Johannesburg in Your PocketVACANCY
Closing date: Fri, Jan 19, 2024.
PAID INTERN POSITION: WRITING & SOCIAL MEDIA (12 months)
In Your Pocket City Guides is looking for a skilled and dynamic person to join our editorial team. This is an exciting opportunity to gain media-world experience while working closely with a small, innovative digital team.
Your responsibilities will include:
– Research and fact-checking
– Compiling events listings
– Writing feature content on cultural trends, attractions and neighbourhoods for our website
– Assisting with compiling our newsletter and social media content
– Monitoring social networks for relevant content
– Excellent writing and research skills
– An interest in art and culture, from music to nightlife, performance to tourism experiences. You must be ready to experience these and write about them
– People think of you as an organised person
– Always on time
– You like people
– Demonstrated use of social media platforms
– Enjoy creating content
– Basic photography skills
– A journalism, media studies, English or related tertiary degree
Our ideal candidate:
– Is based in Johannesburg
– Has an excellent proven command of spoken and written English
– Is available to travel to our Rosebank office twice weekly, or as and when required
– Has a degree or diploma related to journalism, media studies, literature, or similar
– Must possess their own computer, cellphone and reliable internet connection
– Is confident in working remotely, delivering content to deadlines
– Works efficiently, paying great attention to detail
– Is willing to learn, and work within a team
This is a paid internship.
1. Make sure you know what we do and offer on digital platforms first. Then,
2. Send us a one-page CV accompanied by a cover letter outlining why you are the perfect candidate, highlighting relevant experience and interests
3. Supply names and contact details for two referees
4. Email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org
From previous members of the In Your Pocket team:
“I have been given the chance to be invited to and attend so many events that I had never thought I'd have the opportunity to be part of, and to be introduced to so many amazing people.”
“Thank you for everything Johannesburg In Your Pocket has done to make me better at what I do, and for giving me many opportunities to be in rooms I never would have imagined myself in. I have so much respect for what Johannesburg In Your Pocket stands for.”