Founded in 1992 In Your Pocket City Guides is an international media publishing company producing well-written, well researched and independent print and digital guides to cities across Europe, the Caribbean and since 2014, South Africa. We are known for our irreverent, useful and up-to-date city guides aimed at both domestic and international tourists.
Johannesburg In Your Pocket is now the leading online cultural guide to southern Africa’s largest city. We pride ourselves on consistently producing content that is both practical and entertaining, and on sharing stories about both mainstream and lesser-known attractions and experiences through our website and digital guides, weekly email newsletters and via our busy social media channels.
TO ADVERTISE: Contact publisher and editor Laurice Taitz at email@example.com, +27 82 572 3553
DISTRIBUTION: Email firstname.lastname@example.org
EDITORIAL: For editorial tips and enquiries please email us at email@example.com
INTERN POSITION: WRITING & SOCIAL MEDIA (12 months)
In Your Pocket City Guides is looking for a skilled and dynamic intern to join our editorial team. An exciting opportunity to gain media world experience, working closely with a small innovative digital team.
Your responsibilities will include:
– Research, fact-checking and writing original content for our website and digital publications
– Creating content for social media channels
– Working within a web content management system to ensure accuracy and updates of content
Our ideal candidate:
– Is based in Johannesburg
– Is available to travel to an in-person meeting once a week or as needed
– Must possess their own computer, cellphone and reliable internet connection
– Is confident to work remotely, delivering content to deadlines
– Works efficiently, paying great attention to detail
– Has an excellent proven command of spoken and written English
– Is willing to learn and work within a team
– Has familiarity with social media platforms and their usage – Instagram, Twitter and Facebook
– Is ideally an undergraduate (3rd year) or postgrad student with a desire to gain practical experience in a professional media environment
– Is interested in culture, art, travel and tourism
The successful candidate will receive a monthly stipend and a written reference at the end of the 12 months. Time off will be given for exams, with timeous notice given.
1. Make sure you know what we do and offer on digital platforms first. Then,
2. Send us a one-page CV accompanied by a covering letter outlining why you think you are the perfect candidate for this position, highlighting relevant experience and interests. Email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Supply two letters from referees
Deadline for submission: February 10, 2021
Should you not hear from us within seven days of submitting your application, please consider your application unsuccessful.