The majestic, pink building that lords over Town Hall Square is Tartu's Town Hall, built in 1789 by the town's master builder, Rostock-born Johann Heinrich Bartholomäus Walter. It's actually the third town hall to have stood on this spot - the previous two were destroyed by fire. This encarnation mixes early classicism with touches of baroque and rococo. In its day, the cellar and the ground floor on the left side housed a prison, while the right side was a weigh house. Rooms for the Town Council were on the upper floors, and continuing the tradition, the building serves as the city's administrative centre even today. The Town Hall's 34-bell carillon sounds every day at 09:00, 12:00, 15:00, 18:00 and 21:00.