Traditionally the burial ground of Warsaw’s poorer Jews, this is the oldest Jewish cemetery in Warsaw. Founded in 1780, much of it was wrecked during the Nazi occupation, with many tombs being used as paving stones for roads and even the Wisła riverbed. Even more graves were destroyed following the war's end, with hundreds of tombs ripped from the ground and piled together in huge heaps. Not long ago the cemetery resembled a neglected jungle of weeds and was so often vandalised that the city was eager to return responsibility for its maintenance back to the local Jewish community, which it finally did in 2013. Since then the site has been cleaned up significantly, the main gates have been restored and two pavilions have been built, which currently house an exhibition called 'Beit Almin - Eternal Home' exploring the history of the Jewish necropolis, and traditional Jewish religious and cultural approaches to death and burial. Located just north of Praga, the cemetery can be easily reached vi public transport.
Sun 10:00-16:00, Closed Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri, Sat.