During the era of the Free City the Polish state was represented by various public bodies such as Polish Railways and the Polish Postal Service. The headquarters for that were here in the Polish Post Office. It is thought that not only was the building the home of the postal service but that it also acted as the centre of the Polish government's intelligence gathering services in the de-militarised zone. Badly damaged in the battle to flush the Polish postal 'workers' out it was nearly completely destroyed by the end of the war. Reconstructed between 1949 and 1951, it is still a functioning post office which also houses a small museum dedicated to the events of September 1, 1939 and an exhibition of local postal history from the 18th century to the outbreak of WWII.