Housed in the former Palace of the Warmia Bishops on the eastern side of the complex originally dates to the 14th century. The remains of what was by then an 18th century building, were badly damaged by fire in 1945 and it wasn't until the years 1965-70 that it was rebuilt to serve as a museum. The permanent exhibition is dedicated to the work of Copernicus but you'll also find exhibitions on cartography of the local area (interesting to note how the topography of the area has changed over the centuries) and iconography of cities. The lack of English explanations is frustrating though this is still worth a look. Pride of place is taken by a 1948 copy of Jan Matejko's 1873 painting Astronomer Copernicus or Conversations with God. Also keep an eye out for the likeness of Copernicus which was reproduced by copying the only known surviving image of Copernicus which can be found on an astronomical clock in Strasbourg's Notre-Dame Cathedral.
Show on map
Open 09:00 - 15:30.
Last entrance 30 minutes before closing.