Following Hevelius’s marriage in 1635 to his neighbour Katherine Rebeschke, he took over a pair of tenement houses and a brewery which came to him as part of his new-wife’s dowry. This property expanded in 1649 when Hevelius inherited his family’s adjacent house and brewery following his father’s death, the new property covering an area which filled most of the space between (B-2/3) Korzenna, Bednarska and Zawrotna. The property would have consisted of the living quarters at the front, brewery to the rear and ultimately Hevelius’ observatory on the roof. The Hevelius family was to live and work here for many decades and the property is thought to have remained in the family until the start of the 19th century. Photographs taken over a hundred years later suggest parts of the structure from Hevelius’ time still existed but these, like much of the surrounding city were destroyed in the fall of Danzig in 1945. Despite attempts to re-create the tenements in the 1950s, the ruins were finally pulled down and a new residential block built on the site, a building which today awaits renovation. While many sources quote the address of the Hevelius home and brewery as 53-55 Korzenna today you will find them allocated different numbers on the same street. A unkempt plaque denotes the spot where the great man once worked and lived.