One of Gdańsk’s most imposing structures, standing at the top of ul. Stągiewna - The fearsome looking Brama Stągiewna. Stągiew is Polish for 'Milk Can' and the gate is shaped like that, hence the name 'Stągiewna Gate'. Built between 1517 and 1519 to guard access to the warehouses on Granary Island, the building features two stout, rotund towers (nicknamed the 'Milk Cans' by locals) connected by an overhead passage. The gate is decorated with two Polish coats of arms, one of Royal Prussia and one of Gdańsk. It was retouched in the 17th century, during which it received some renaissance flourishes. For years an impressive survivor in an area that was a bit of a wasteland, the ‘Milk Cans’ will hopefully not be eclipsed by the repurposing of Granary Island.