This 148 metre beast spanning Kazimierz and Podgórze was completed in 1978 to serve as a replacement for the Krakus Bridge which once stood in its place. Though today's bridge isn't much to look at, the original was quite an effort, by all accounts, and involved in some of the area's most significant historical moments. Constructed between 1903 and 1913 this iron monster was the work of Edward Zitter, who apparently modelled his architectural marvel on the bridges that span the Budapest stretch of the Danube. It was in the middle that the respective mayors of Kraków and Podgórze met on July 4, 1915 to cement Podgórze’s incorporation into Kraków, and two years later it took on a groovy modern look when a tramline was added. However, the bridge is perhaps best known for its role in the Holocaust - this was the route the Nazis used to herd Kraków’s Jews from Kazimierz into their ready-formed ghetto across the river.