Sometimes we innocently fail to see the beauty of something until we learn about the efforts gone into its creation. The altar of St. Rocco which is now placed in the Chapel of St. Rocco and located in the park overlooking the British Square, has survived its own Calvary. It was originally built in 1755 by city guilds and placed in St. Mark’s Church; it carried the name the altar of the Holy Trinity, St. John the Baptist and Evangelist. The quality of altars back then were categorised by colour and their exaggerated baroque decorations. At the time, Bishop Josip Juraj Strossmayer thought that many altars, though beautiful, were not spiritually inspiring and ordered a complete revamp; hence the altar was subsequently given a new home, new look and new name. The end of the 19th century saw the altar themed with a statue of St. Rocco and a dog carrying a piece of bread in its mouth. Two centuries later, a fire in the 1970s destroyed the right side of the altar and after extensive restoration; it was possible to once again see the altar in its original design.