Most of the churches prior to WWII were protestant and those that were re-built were re-consecrated as Catholic places of worship. St. Bartholomew’s is now the place of worship for those of the Greek-Ukrainian branch of Catholicism and was given over to the community by the Bishop of Gdansk in 1997. Originally built in 1370-1380 it was destroyed during the 13-years war in 1455 when the city rose up against the Teutonic Knights. Rebuilt in 1456 and again after a fire in 1500 it served as a Lutheran church before the Jesuits took over the ruins in 1945. Re-opened in 1960 it has been undergoing renovations for the past decade to meet the requirements of the Greek church. The dates above the main door signify important dates in the recent history of the Greek-Ukrainian Catholic community. In 1945-6 the Greek-Ukrainian church was liquidated by the communist authorities and in 1947, the first of the dates shown, Operation ‘Vistula’ forcibly deported followers from their traditional lands in the south-east to the north-west of Poland. Mass commemorating these times was celebrated on the tenth anniversary in 1957 and 1997 signifies the year that the church found its new home as part of the rather strangely designed diocese of Gdansk-Wrocław. The church became a Cathedral in 2001 and outside of mass times can be viewed through the glass atrium in the rear.
Open during mass and by prior arrangement although it is possible to view the interior through via the glass atrium at other times.