The hill directly behind the Gdańsk University of Technology is rather ominously named, the English translation being 'Gallows Hill', giving a big clue away to its former use - this was once the site of public executions. Between 1529-1804, a large gallows stood firmly on a large square stone and brick base, on top of the 55m highhill, clearly visible for miles around, especially to those approaching the city from the west. The gallows, from which the hill got its name, acted as a warning that justice would be quickly served to anyone that did any wrong! The last execution took place on the hill in 1838, though this time without the handy help of the gallows, but with an axe, yikes! From 1914-1966, the site was used as a non-denominational cemetery, along with a nearby crematorium (the 1st in Poland), which functioned until 1945. Today, the area is now a park (Park im. Traugutta), named after the leader of the January Uprising, Romuald Traugutt, with a viewing platform, from where you can see the area of Wrzeszcz below. Walking through the park can be a little eerie as old gravestones still litter the site.