80th Anniversary of the Benedictines' Return to Tyniec
ul. Benedyktyńska 37
On July 30th, 1939, the Benedictines returned to the ruins of their monastery after 123 years of absence. They were faced with the enormous challenge of reconstructing the abbey, which was almost immediately interrupted by the outbreak of World War II. After the war, in 1947, the long process of raising up the ruins of the monastery’s walls was initiated. The gradual rebuilding of the oldest monastery in Poland continued until 2008. These days, beautifully renovated parts of Benedictine Abbey proudly overlook the Vistula River (the abbey is at the halfway stage of a three-year church conservation programme). The exhibition presents archival photographs documenting abbey's journey from ruins to its present state.