Today a major traffic artery through the city, until 1878 ul. Dietla was a swampy tributary of the Wisła before then-mayor Józef Dietl (hence the name) had it filled and turned into a green beltway. Though war damages, the addition of vehicular lanes and eventually a tramline in 1970 have lessened its appeal as a park, ul. Dietla remains a landmark street lined with imposing tenement buildings, many of them built by wealthy Jewish merchants. One such building is the Ohrenstein house (ul. Dietla 42) - this five-storey tenement building was built between 1911 and 1913 and was the city’s largest pre-war tenement building; a spire at its peak was taken down by the Nazis.