Taking pride of place at the western end of Oliwa Park, Oliwa's towering Cathedral was originally built as a simple wooden structure in the 12th century, and it was only in 1224 that the brickwork was added. Nonetheless, the year 1350 saw a negligent kitchen boy accidentally start a fire that engulfed the whole building, reducing it to cinders. Reconstruction began immediately, but in 1626 the building was again destroyed, this time by marauding Swedish soldiers. Not content with stealing its bells, altars and valuables, the Swedes also kidnapped Oliwa’s hapless monks for good measure. In a twist of irony, however, it was in this very building that Poland and Sweden finally put the past behind them and signed a peace treaty in 1660.
A couple of other points of note are the memorial plague to inter-war Danzig bishop Edward O’Rourke found on the wall (to the right as you enter from the main entrance), and, at the other end of the church, a strange and beautiful canopy around the high altar, covered with stars and featuring 150 angels poking out of a mass of clouds.
|Month||Organ Recital Hours (Mon - Fri)||Organ Recital Hours (Sat)||Organ Recital Hours (Sun)|
|June 2019||10:00, 11:00, 12:00, 13:00, 15:00, 16:00||10:00, 11:00, 12:00, 13:00, 14:00, 15:00||15:00, 16:00, 17:00|
|July/August 2019||10:00, 11:00, 12:00, 13:00, 15:00, 16:00, 17:00||10:00, 11:00, 12:00, 13:00, 14:00, 15:00||
15:00, 16:00, 17:00
15 August, 2019