Built in the 1920s, the infamous 'Grey House' originally belonged to the Jewish Community as an administrative and residential building associated with the cemetery alongside it. During the war it performed the same function for the SS. It was here that Camp Commandant Amon Goeth had his office, from which he was known to take potshots at the prisoners working nearby (this was explicitly depicted in Schindler's List, with the historical discrepancy that Grey House was used as the set for Goeth's Villa, not office). Grey House also served as lodgings for the camp's SS officers, among them Hujar, Zdrojewski, Landsdorfer, Ekert and Glaser who were known for their cruelty. A house of horrors for the inmates of KL Płaszów, the building held solitary confinement cells, including 'standing bunkers' - tiny cells not large enough to sit in - in the basement. Survivors of the camp reported that few inmates who entered the house ever came out again. Today the Grey House is one of the only buildings connected with the former concentration camp still standing, and remains generally unaltered since the war. Plans are underway to eventually open it to the public in the form of a museum.
Sarah Schenirer Headstone
ul. Jerozolimska 3
Just beside the Grey House is a paved walkway leading to the modern, restored gravestone (erected in 2005) of Sarah Schenirer (1883-1935), whose original headstone in the New Jewish Cemetery was destroyed, like all others, when the camp was built. A p