The basilica, the sanctuary and the convent are built on the hill south-east of the city centre and about a 15/20 minute walk from via Roma. The initial church, which maintains its original Gothic architecture, was built after 1323, on the site where the Aragonese decided to set up their camp and lay siege to the city. It was then donated to the Order of Our Lady of Mercy, who then built a convent. In 1370, during a terrible storm in the gulf of Cagliari, a ship wrecked and part of its load, a large case containing a very fine statue of Our Lady, was found on the shore in front of the church. Both the statue and the case are on public display. The building of the adjacent basilica started in the 18th century and it was then resumed, but not finished until 1926. The complex is surrounded by a small but pleasant park, with nice views over the port.