St. Nicholas Orthodox Sea Cathedral
This monumental symbol of both the Orthodox Church and the tsarist monarchy must have been at odds with communist doctrine and no doubt a thorn in the side of the party devout. Finished in 1903 and christened by Nicholas II himself, it served as the garrison’s church much as it did during the Latvian period. The Soviets however used it as a warehouse, gymnasium and meeting hall. Today it is once again an Orthodox house of worship and an architectural wonder in a sea of concrete mediocrity.