Slavic women are beautiful on the outside, and often on the inside too. No wonder then that it’s a cliché and stereotype for almost every British lad or North American guy living in a Slavic country to have arrived on the premise, and with the promise, of love.
So, what can we say about this phenomenon?
Without advocating ‘sex tourism’ in any way, we’re going to give you 10 great tips on how to handle a new relationship in a beautiful Slavic country. What’s more, this friendly advice goes for international relationships world-wide.
Slavic wonderlands include Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia, Serbia, Russia, Belarus, Poland, the Czech Republic, Slovakia, and Ukraine. The ‘Slavs’ as an ethnic group originally settled in the eastern European Caucasus in the 6th Century. Since then Slavic peoples have spread further east into the Russian sub-continent and south into the Balkans, now accounting for over half of Europe. And they have remained beautiful.
Aside from numerous online ‘Slavic brides’ agencies, many western guys do not go with the pre-meditated intention of finding a girl.
If you really like this girl, and it’s more than just a one night (or week) -stand, you might sooner or later decide to go and live in her home country (if your girl isn't after a green card that is). Unfortunately, these types of relationships don’t have a good long-term success rate, but with our advice, that’s about to change!
So, here we go…
1. First of all, the golden rule: DO NOT LIVE TOGETHER IMMEDIATELY!!!This cannot be stressed enough! The first priority is your own independence in your new country. Get to know each other slowly at first, trust me, I know.
2. Learn the local language, get your girlfriend to give you lessonsA must if you want to be a real part of the society, although most young people now speak English.
3. Socialise with localsA good opportunity to practice your new language, or English for them.
4. DON’T always socialise with other ex-pats (or Erasmus exchange students)It’s really annoying when people don’t make any effort to integrate.
5. Embrace the cultureWatch local movies, listen to local music, do things with the locals, after all: “when in Rome…”
6. Embrace the foodOf course!
7. Explore the countryFor your own fun, and people are always amazed when a foreigner knows a lot about their homeland
8. Do a job other than teaching EnglishA bit of a cliché; definitely the most accessible career choice for native English speakers, but forays into other areas are great for getting immersed in the culture.
9. Get advice from friends in the same boatEmpathy is a wonderful thing.
10. Love the country as much as the girlThis means, if you break-up, stay in the country. Although you probably came first for the girl, there should be lots of other reasons for the place becoming your home.
Follow our 10 top tips, and you will maintain a healthy balanced relationship, independence in your new life, acceptance into a different society, and most importantly a new home with your Slavic beauty, in a Slavic paradise.